The Dominican Republic

Friday, January 07, 2005

Learn Thai if you want a real challenge

Blogger Graham Glass, who recently visited the Dominican Republic, lists some of his New Year's resolutions which include visiting China, Russia, Thailand, Japan, Spain, and Indonesia. That's a very interesting list, particularly for me. I spent a great deal of time in southern Spain and speak Chinese and Russian. I attempted to learn Thai while I was at the University of Washington and found it to be the most difficult language that I have studied. Halfway through the semester, I was the only student (of eight who started) remaining in my Thai class responding to vigorous drills from the professor and a Thai graduate student. It just about wore me out. With its numerous tones, it can be very challenging for an English speaker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home